Tuesday, August 2, 2016

(7) Pee and Tears with a Bear and a Beaver!

It’s 5 am on Friday April 4, eight days after the transfer.  I awoke from a restless night, nervous about my impending home pregnancy test.  Over the last 8 days, I’ve experienced no symptoms -- at least none that I detected.  As I prepare for the “TEST”, I notice that I’m actually shaking with nervous energy and excitement.  It goes fairly smoothly.  Well, as smoothly as it can go peeing into a cup being held with unsteady hands!  I dip the first stick into the cup.  This is way easier than trying to pee on it.  Holly gave me two fairly expensive home test kits, and I also bought a cheap $1 dollar test, because why not?!  After dipping one expensive stick and one budget stick, I wait the allotted time and then nervously look at the screens.  HOLY CRAP!  I AM PREGNANT!  They both come up positive, so I’m pretty sure about this.  I feel like my instincts have been correct all along.  My gut had been telling me since last November that “this will work”!  The tears of joy start flowing.  I go upstairs to show Tom.  I’m crying with the test in my hand.  At first he’s unsure of whether I’m crying happy tears or the other kind, until I show him the positive (II) mark.  We hug it out because Tom doesn’t cry (he’s a man…)!  So I continue to cry the happy tears for the both of us.  Tom was happy too, but it suddenly struck him that this was really happening.  Becky is pregnant, with someone else’s baby!

I grab my phone and take a picture of the pregnancy test.

Welp, it looks like I'm pregnant
It’s about 5:30am now, and I send a text to Holly with the results.  15 minutes go by with no response, then 30 minutes.  Still nothing!  So I text Darren since I knew he would be at work.  I inform him he’s going to be a daddy with this picture.  I also tell him that Holly hasn’t responded yet.


I just woke up okay!

Darren tells me she had taken a sleeping pill the prior evening, so that could explain Holly not responding.  A few minutes later my phone rings.  It’s Holly, sobbing with happiness.  We are both crying together and dreaming of the future.   She asked me if I took both of the tests she gave me.  I said ”no” but told her about the 2nd positive result on dollar store test.  She is overjoyed, but still a little cautious.  This still could be a false positive.  But remember, B positive!  Because my transfer happened on a Thursday, day 10 (blood test day) lands on a Sunday.  So my hCG blood test is scheduled for Monday.  Holly is not happy about waiting that extra day, but there’s not much more we can do unless we want to pay extra $$ for a Sunday draw at OHSU.  We decide to wait.

For Tom and me, the wait was fairly easy.  We spent the weekend at the scenic Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, WA, compliments of Holly and Darren.  They wanted to give us a relaxing break from all the stress of preparing and finally doing the transfer.  The trip will be a happy trip because of the positive test result.  They scheduled a couple’s massage for us, which was lovely.  We also took an easy hike around the golf course, officially giving my passenger(s) their first hiking experience.  Just before we left on Sunday, we looked around the gift shop.  I wanted to get something for Holly and Darren.  After much deliberation, I chose two stuffed animals for the babies to be.  I chose two because I just had this gut feeling that both stuck.  I chose a little stuffed bear, because it was cute.  The second was a stuffed beaver because it’s Kaela’s school mascot.  Go Beavs!


Monday cannot come soon enough! 



No comments:

Post a Comment