Sunday, July 31, 2016

(6) Her Buns - My Oven


It’s transfer day!  After a restless night the prior evening, Tom and I met Holly and Darren in the OHSU lobby around 10:45am.  We’re all super-excited and super-nervous.  When the medical folks finally call my name, I can see that Holly can hardly contain her emotions. 

Casting modesty aside (again!), I decided to have everyone (Holly, Darren, Tom) in the room with me.  Darren was reluctant to go in, thinking I’ll be fully exposed or something.  But I insisted.  We were about to put two of their babies in me, and I didn’t want him to have any future regrets about not being there for the start of it all.  I assured him I’d be covered up, and that I was completely comfortable with it.  He agreed, but still seemed uncomfortable.  Now, I won’t lie and say it wasn’t weird.  It was.  This was clearly not an everyday occurrence -- more like once in a lifetime. 

Dr. Patton came in to check on us.  He could tell we were ready!  Then the embryologist came in to talk to Holly and Darren.  He gave them an update on the two embryos that have been defrosting for the better part of the morning, after having been frozen for over 9 months.  He tells Holly and Darren they are doing exactly what they should be.  Both are growing and expanding perfectly!  Science is amazing!  We are transferring two five day old Blastocysts (embryos).  This means, when (if?) they implant, I will effectively be 5 days pregnant.  These Blastocysts are microscopic:  only about 0.1-0.2 mm in diameter, and only containing 200-300 cells.  A few minutes later it’s the moment of truth.  Dr. Patton places a catheter into my cervix and signals for the syringe with the embryos.  There is a nurse at my belly with a sonogram so Dr. Patton can see the fluid from the syringe flow into my cervix.  I kid you not, Dr. Patton said “I sure hope this works”!  It was an awkward moment for sure. 

Just after the transfer, I had to lie still for about 20 minutes.  Holding my feet in the air was optional…  It was a surreal experience, having 5-6 people witness the very moment I possibly got pregnant.  After the 20 minute wait, even though I knew that getting up and walking wouldn’t cause any harm, all I could think about was sitting or lying down.  Why fight gravity, right?  And, since I ate all those pineapple cores and Brazil nuts, my uterus should be peanut butter sticky!  By now it’s after noon, and we all have lunch together, dreaming of the future with high hopes.

Holly and me 30 minutes after the transfer
Tom and I head home for a leisurely rest of our day.  Kaela is at home (she’s on spring break) when we get there.  I make myself comfy on the couch in the prone position.  My servants/minions (Tom and Kaela) are handy to get me anything I need, or just to keep me company.  

So far, Kaela is the only one in my family (besides Tom!) who knows I am attempting this.  Her college is fairly close to home, so she’d definitely witness my physical changes.  We all decided to not inform any other family members at first.  With my family in Arizona it was simple.  They wouldn’t be seeing me, so I wanted to spare them the worry if this didn’t work.  Holly didn’t tell her family for the same reason.  After all her prior struggles, why subject her family (again) to the grief of any failure.  In a way, this was also simple for them, because Tom and I have never met Holly’s family or Darren’s family.  Right now, we are strangers to their families.  Before informing others, Holly wanted to successfully pass several pregnancy milestones: 
  • Positive home pregnancy test.
  • Blood test with HCG levels.  A positive home pregnancy test could still be wrong.
  • Ultrasound with a visible heartbeat.
  • Achieve 12 weeks gestation.   Because your chances of going full term increase significantly!
  • Reach “external viability” point -- 24 weeks!
The doctors recommend waiting 10 days until taking a pregnancy test.  These 10 days are crawling by.  I lay low the first few days after the transfer, and then I resume my normal routine.  Going to the gym is something I do routinely (and the Doctor said it was OK), so I go back.  I avoid any extreme physical exercises like a Zumba class (duh!).  But I do use the elliptical and weight machines.  It helps pass the time for my early Friday morning visit to the bathroom (we decided to get an early read with a home pregnancy test).   Friday is just 8 days after the transfer, but Holly can’t wait.  I’m not sure I can either.

Holly has requested that I text her Friday morning no matter what time…. I secretly laugh to myself because I don’t think she realizes how early I get up!




No comments:

Post a Comment