Wednesday, August 17, 2016

(12) OUCH!


OMG, I am so done with these daily Progesterone shots!  My butt just hurts.  It no longer matters that I’ve been alternating from one cheek to the other.  There are simply no un-poked locations left within the medical “ideal specified” area.  There have been nights where neither my husband nor I could remember if the prior night was “left” or “right, so we just guessed.  I’ve even considered going to my thigh that is how much my butt hurts.  So far, I’ve taken 68 needles in my backside, which leaves just 10 more lovelies to go.  78 total shots.  Ouch.  But despite the unpleasantness, I’m worried about stopping.  I’m hoping my body is producing what my two precious passengers need.  I’ve done some reading on maternity message boards about what to expect after you stop taking Estrogen pills and stop the Progesterone shots.  Most say you will spot (bleed) a little, but others say you may have no signs.  The RN at OHSU says I shouldn’t spot, but if I do I should go to the MFM for a check-up.  I want to stay positive, but it’s hard.  I’ll be stopping cold turkey!  It seems to me it would be better to taper off, but OHSU says that is not necessary.  They are the experts…

So I’m in the home stretch with the PIO shots.  Halleluiah!  For the final ten shots, Holly has given me ten gifts:  one to open each night after finishing each oh-so-painful poke.  She understands.  She’s done it many times herself, so yeah she knows that it’s a pain in the butt, literally!
  • May 28th – I get a poke and a pair of comfy yoga pants.
  • May 29th – I get a poke and a cute pink maternity tank top.
  • May 30th – I get a poke and a cute black maternity tank top.
  • May 31st – I get a poke and cute workout pants (I am officially 12 weeks!)
  • June 1st  – I get another painful poke and some hand soap, chocolate, and lemon heads!  YUM!
  • June 2nd – I get a poke (oucH) and a pregnancy sleeping pillow.
  • June 3rd – I get a poke (ouCH) and a Safeway gift card for some yummy Gelato (to eat, not for my butt).
  • June 4th – I get a poke (and on my birthday too, oUCH) and a gift card to Buffalo Wild Wings.  YUM!
  • June 5th – I get a poke (OUCH!) and a gift card to Target to buy some maternity clothes (for obvious reasons).  Just one shot to go!
  • June 6th  – My final poke (this one actually didn’t hurt! I think because it’s the last one) and a gift card to our favorite Mexican restaurant:  Chuy’s Taco Shop (or as we call it, “Muchas Gracias”) and their stick-on tattoo!



I never expected gifts like this from Holly and Darren, but it helped keep things positive.  They have been very generous throughout this experience.  I realize I’m carrying their babies, but I don’t expect anything in return except for the satisfaction of helping them start their family.  But I appreciate their generosity!  Not only did they have all of these post-PIO presents for me, but they also gave me a massage certificate for my birthday.  So sweet!


Now I’m keeping my fingers crossed.  I hope there are no “symptoms” after stopping the Progesterone.  I hope my passengers remain safe.  I’ll know shortly…



No comments:

Post a Comment