Friday, July 29, 2016

(5) It doesn’t hurt yet…

The day has finally arrived after multiple Lupron shots and daily estrogen pills.  It’s finally time to find out if we can move forward with the scheduled embryo transfer.

Holly wanted to join me for this appointment, but was almost too shy to ask.  I said: “Absolutely!  This is for you after all.”  She said she’d sit in the waiting area while the medical folks take the measurements.  Really?!  I thought we were far beyond traditional modesty by now.  Besides, we’ll be in a clinical environment, where all my “bits” will be covered up.  Holly has done this several times, so I think we both know it’s no big deal.

Nevertheless, I assure her “you are going to be right by my side” (after I get situated on the table, of course).  She is thrilled!  So Holly and I met in the OHSU lobby that morning.  Before the appointment got started, Holly picked up the scary PIO needles.  Eek!  If my lining measurements are good, then I get to start injecting Progesterone in my butt this very evening.  Or should I say Tom gets to…

The lining measurements looked great, so it’s a go for the March 27th embryo transfer.  Eek!!  We shed some happy tears then Holly thanked me for letting her be there.  I thought this was strange, because it was always my intention to include Holly and Darren in all aspects of the process.  If things work out (and they will – remember B positive!), this is still fairly early in what will become an epic journey.  I want them to be right next to me.  I want them to experience everything with me.

Holly and I leave OHSU that morning with huge smiles on our faces, knowing we are that much closer to T-day.   The four of us plan to have dinner later, followed by my first PIO shot at our house. 

Since my ovaries are now “sleeping” (from the prior Lupron injections), my body is not producing the hormones necessary for new life to take hold.  Progesterone is vital, and it’s time to start the intramuscular injections.  An intramuscular injection is used to deliver a medication deep into the muscles.  This allows the medication to be absorbed into the bloodstream quickly.  Guess where the best spot is?  Yep, your Gluteus Maximus.  More small sacrifices! 

Upper for the PIO - Lower was for Lupron

These shots now need to be given every day, at around the same time each day.  We picked 8pm, since Tom is usually home from work by this time.  Usually!  8pm arrives, and we’re gearing up for the first shot.

Holly has done this many time before, and she’s right there to remind me of her routine.  She typically iced the lucky spot, while also warming the syringe with a heating pad.  It is recommended to warm the oil-based Progesterone, otherwise it’s almost too viscous to inject.  But don’t make it too hot because…yikes!  We warm the syringe, taking a guess for the optimal time/temperature (we chose 10 minutes).  I decide not to ice the area.  I’m generally pretty pain-tolerant, and I want to see if ice is really necessary.

Okay, here we go.  Darren leaves the room.  I guess he thinks I’m going to just drop my pants for all to see.  Holly is by Tom’s side just in case he needs back-up.  I pull the top edge of my pants down and prepare the “SPOT”.  I take an alcohol rub and clean the area and pull the skin tight.  Tom is nervous, but I have confidence in him.  He jabs the needle in, and slightly pulls back on the plunger to check for blood.  Seeing none, he gently pushes the plunger of PIO in.  Perfect.  It absolutely DID NOT HURT!  I felt nothing.  That’s how smooth Tom was.  Holly cannot believe that I didn’t feel anything, but she’s happy because she doesn’t want any discomfort for me.  So sweet!  Immediately afterwards, I gently massage the area to help move the Progesterone around to assist absorption. 

Cool, only 77 more of those – assuming a successful transfer and a positive pregnancy test of course. 


Now just 6 days until the transfer…




1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I remember that moment right before Tom inserted it. I suggested counting to three but you said "just do it." The first one is the scariest for sure. Team Tom and Becky were on fire PIO shot 1!

    ReplyDelete