Thursday, July 28, 2016

(4) Sleeping ovaries and small sacrifices


Starting this “transfer protocol” is such a huge relief.  The fact that all of us were able to get all the required preparations done in about a months’ time is astonishing!   All four of us are extremely excited but we’re also guarded, because we’re told this upcoming embryo transfer has only a 50/50 chance of working.  So while we are staying positive (especially me), we know that it might not work.  Actually B positive is my blood type, so I also started using it as my motto.

First, I have to wait for my next cycle to start.  Not something I usually look forward to.  Tick-tock, tick-tock, and finally it happened!  Then I was able to start taking my birth control pills.  Yes, birth control.  It seems like the last thing you’d want to do when trying to become pregnant is to take birth control pills, but it is the first step in the fertility doctor’s process of taking complete control of what my reproductive organs do.  Oh fun!

Meanwhile, as the birth control kicks in, I’ve been having serious thoughts about quitting my job.  I started working at a new company back in October.  It’s in a cleanroom environment, which means wearing a full bunny suit for a 12 hour shift (with breaks of course).  They hired me as a temp (along with 15 others) and I’m having concerns about the stress of this job affecting my “very important project”.   Tom and I decided that this “project” is much more important than my “temp” job.  So I’ve decided to give my 2-week notice, leaving open the possibility of returning at a future date.  In my mind, this is a small sacrifice.   I also didn’t want to worry Holly about it, so I told her I took a leave of absence (he he).  A little white lie to help ease someone else’s concern was okay in my mind.

As I begin the early stages of the protocol, I start thinking about everything that goes into my body.  I want to give these two embryos the best chance of “attaching”.  Even though in the back of my mind I am quite confident I will become pregnant.   I stopped consuming caffeine, which wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be.  I just switched to decaffeinated coffee.  Easy!  I don’t drink carbonated drinks anyway, so easy-peasy!  I stop eating anything with artificial sweeteners.  Now, anyone close to me knows I usually eat everything “diet”, but this wasn’t as hard as I thought either.  Yay for me!  These two embryos have been frozen for 9 months, so I will do everything in my power to give them the best start possible.  Again, to me it’s a small sacrifice.

At day 14 of my birth control, I get to start injecting Lupron into my belly fat.  Yep, I said belly fat, and I said inject!  Lupron is a drug that shuts down all ovary production.  Essentially, I’m putting my body into the first stages of menopause!  It’s all part of the process to make sure my own biology does not interfere with the embryo transfer and attachment.  I was a little apprehensive the first couple of times, but I was using a “diabetic” size syringe, so I hardly felt it.  Then an idea occurred to me.  In a few weeks I will have to start using a much larger needle, and it has to be stuck in my BUTT!  Obviously, that will be a little difficult for me to do on my own.  I think to myself, TOM!  Now Tom has known about these “bigger” needles and the need for someone to give these daily shots.  He has been trying to find anyone but him to do them.   So I think maybe if he starts doing the Lupron shots, he’ll be more comfortable doing the big-needle PIO (Progesterone In Oil) shots.  Reluctantly, he starts giving me the Lupron.  Go Tom! 

Holly told me about a few old conception wives tales out there in the world of Google.  So I happily research some more, because why not?!  I came across many, but only tried a couple that I thought wouldn’t be too bad.  Pineapple core:  It is said that it makes your inner uterus nice and sticky!  I like pineapple, so again, why not?!  Raw Brazil nuts:  It is said to thicken the uterine lining.  Well, I’m having my lining measured 1 week before transfer, so why not?!  Plus, I like Brazil nuts (salted of course).    


We are only a week away from transfer now, and my next appointment is for an ultrasound to make sure my lining is at the correct thickness.  If the thickness isn’t acceptable, then it’s back to step one -- which is to take birth control again after I have another period.  Ugh.  Let’s B positive about my upcoming measurement!

No comments:

Post a Comment