Thursday, September 29, 2016

(20) Wait, you’d like to put WHAT inside me?


It’s week 21, and I’ve got another doctor appointment today.  Not a surprise since I go weekly now.  But because of these frequent appointments, it seems like I am seeing a different doctor every time.  Don’t get me wrong, they all seem very knowledgeable and I respect them, BUT I was hoping to stick with one doctor or maybe two at the most.  I think I’m up to five now!  I really shouldn’t care, but maybe I do because of my past experiences.  With my son, I had just one doctor, who I loved.  With my daughter, I had several, and I didn’t exactly love the one who delivered her.  Anyhow, all these different doctors tend to form their own opinions from looking at my chart.  Not always a good thing in my opinion.  Today I get to see the only woman doctor at this location.  Dr. Robertson is a dead ringer for a girl I used to work with at LensCrafters.  Even her mannerisms are the same.   It’s quite remarkable.  So we talk yet again about my short cervix measurements.  I’m starting to believe that I just naturally have a shorter cervix than most women, and all of these weekly scans are just confirming this.  But now the doctors are suggesting something new.  I’m not thrilled about it, but maybe it will ease everybody’s minds.  
Apparently, I’m about to be a part of something that won’t mean much to the average person, but is very interesting to doctors who specialize in maternal fetal medicine (MFM).

Have you ever heard of a Pessary?  Me neither.  It’s a small plastic ring, designed to be placed on the cervix. It essentially holds the cervix closed (not allowing it to dilate) the more pressure put upon it.  The UK has been doing case studies of using a pessary to prevent preterm labor.  This is just one of its many uses, and I hope no one ever has to have one outside of pregnancy!  They have had good results over in the UK, and Dr. Robertson thinks I’m a great candidate to try it out.  They typically don’t choose woman pregnant with multiples, but at this point with my cervix being “dangerously” short, it can’t hurt (I guess!).  Holly is with me today, and she is so worried about me enduring another obstacle.  Seriously?!  I assure her that I have absolutely no objections.  Practically anything is OK with me now, provided it helps keep these two little guys in there longer.  I ask the doctor about possible side effects, and she says I might not be able to pee.  Gee, that doesn’t sound good to me at all.  So that’s the first thing we need to check after the doctor finishes the pessary “installation”.   Holly still is hesitant about this, but I say “let’s get it over with”.  Holly leaves the room, because yeah she’s not seeing this.  Were close, but not that close!  I undress, and Dr. Robertson comes back with two white plastic rings, one somewhat larger than the other.  Luckily, she chose the small one for me.  Whew!  A minute later she says “Okay, go to the bathroom, fingers crossed!”  Luckily I have to go to the bathroom, yeah pregnant, that’s all the time!  Yes!  Success!  


For you visual people. Here is what it looks like in place!


So let’s make a check list.  BP medication – check.  Heartburn medication – check.  Two daily Progesterone suppository’s – check.  One pessary – check!  I’m hoping the pessary will be the last of the “special” treatments…..

My week 22 appointment shows no significant cervix changes, which I’m taking as good news, especially since we now have the pessary “insurance”.  Basically, everything looks just like is has for the past month. That’s why I’m now convinced I just have an abnormally short cervix.  The only way to find out for sure would be to have it measured when I’m not pregnant.  Yeah, that isn’t high on my to-do list when this is over!  I think I’ve had enough “invasion” down there for a lifetime…


We are getting close to our 24 week milestone.  Even before the boys were growing inside me, Holly and Darren have been planning a special “reveal” for their families at Multnomah Falls, a popular scenic location just east of the Portland area.  Remember:  their families still have no idea this is happening!  It will be a very emotional and exciting milestone to reach for all of us, especially Holly.  




Aug 9th - 22 weeks






No comments:

Post a Comment